Thursday, September 16, 2010

There goes the neighborhood....to Panama!

Wherever people go, they see cultural differences. Whether it is different from their own cultures or different cultures within the area. My life as a whole is one big cultural combination. I was born in Panama City, Panama, a country in central America, but I grew up in the United States. I go to Panama every year and get to experience living two different kinds of lifestyles. Certain aspects of daily life are similar and some are polar opposites.
When I go to Panama, I usually stay in a few days in the city and the remainder of the time in the rural mountaneous country side where my mother grew up. The city life of Panama is the same as any big metropolitan area. Cars zoom around and pedestrians attempt to get by. Buses honk there horns and the streets are filled with business. However, one reason that makes Panama City unique is that it is right next to a rain forest. Also, this city is right in between two different oceans, the atlantic and pacific. Living in a tropical area is a culture difference in itself. Growing up in Chicago, I am used to the extreme cold and hot, but in Panama its either hot, humid, or hot and humid all year round. The different cultures that exist in Panama City alone is crazy in itself! There are native indians with different traditions and people from all over the country and even other countries that come together, despite their different cultures. For such a small country, Panama is abundant with cultural "clashes".
The country side of Panama, for me, is the biggest cultural difference. The lifestyle I live when I visit the country and the lifestyle I live in Chicago are almost complete opposites. First off, technology doesn't play as big of a part in my every day life. There are computers with internet, but its an hour walk/10 min drive from my grandmothers house. The tv's work, but there isn't cable. The cellphone usage isn't nearly as much as it is in the United States, its pretty much only used when really necessary. The houses are made out of mud and/or concrete and the kitchen is a mud hut with a small table, shelves with plates and silverware, as well as a traditional "stove" (an elevated area where wood and kindling is used to light fires to cook). Chickens run around, pecking at the ground. Foliage is everywhere and the sunset is absolutely beautiful. At night I stare at the sky, spotted with stars and planets. There are no noises from cars, buses, or trains. I often find myself just sitting in a hammock, listening to the sounds of bugs and birds in the surroundings.
I believe I'm truly lucky to be able to experience such different lifestyles and cultures. I appreciate how every culture around the world is different and I love learning about them.

1 comment:

  1. This is so great. I wish I could be part of two cultures so hugely. My family's Greek, but I've only been to Greece once, and my dad doesn't speak Greek. My grandparents do, and we participate in a bunch of Greek traditions and stuff with them, but it's not as real as actually BEING a part of it. I'm so jealous :P

    ReplyDelete