Thursday, December 16, 2010

MUSIC REVIEWWWWWW!

Let me start off this blog by saying, Damn. This was a hard decision. Out of the bajillions of artists and cd’s there are in the world, I only got to pick ONE? How was I ever going to do this? I decided to put on my iPod and just listen to what I had, maybe an idea would come to me. Originally, I was thinking of writing about some unknown artist and expose them to all my peers. However, on my iPod shuffle a certain song from a cd I hadn’t heard in a while came on. I set my iPod on only that cd and just listened to it. That is how I came to the conclusion on what cd to write about. It may not be the most current or unknown artist/cd. It’s actually sorta the opposite, kinda, in a way. But this cd, it just makes me feel good.  Enough though, let’s get started with the cd. I present to you…Waking Up-OneRepublic.
                Imagine the pressure of being OneRepublic. Your producer works with megastars like Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, and Missy Elliot. You’ve already made a slight mark on the Billboard charts with the overplayed sing Apologize. Your first cd “Dreaming Out Loud” sold over 1 million copies worldwide and you play at sold out concerts. Wow. I can’t imagine that.
                Ryan Tedder is the chief songwriter of the band. He definitely has a way with words.  I think his approach to this cd (Waking Up, in case you’ve forgotten) is sort of like telling a story. However, you don’t always catch the real meaning the first time you listen to the cd. Just like a book, sometimes you have to read it a few times before being able to appreciate it entirely. That’s exactly like this cd. The first time you listen to it, sure, pretty music, nice lyrics, blah blah blah. But listen to it again, and maybe one more time. There’s a story behind each song that links it in a way to the next.
                The songs that got the most “airtime” were All the Right Moves, Everybody Loves Me, Good Life, and recently, Secrets. These are all amazing songs. They’re a little bit…eh. Predictable. BUT. Listen to the less obvious songs on the album. These are the real treasures.  All this Time is a beautiful love song that just hits me straight to the heart (yes. I’m a hopeless romantic, but I’ve asked guys and they’ve said they like this song too!) The last song on the album is Lullaby…and boy is it a closer. Its haunting sound really makes you want more. 
                I love this cd, It just makes me feel calm. The dynamic instruments and sound gives each song its own separate personality. When I listen to music, my dad accuses me of having ADD. After  15 seconds of a song…it’s on to the next one! Let me just say though, I never skip a song on this cd. That’s saying a lot.
(This picture just makes me laugh. I want to know what they're staring at!)

2 comments:

  1. "Apologize" was a favorite of my son and daughter for a bit. I do not complain, there is worse music on the radio. Actually, OneRepublic's music is good. I think each generation has that music that inspires them- makes them feel good. 80s rap is it for me and many of my friends: Eric B. & Rakim, BDP- I'll stop, this comment should be more on your music. The point is your music is exactly that- your music. Generations before and after may get into it on the fringes, but largely they favor music made by groups who have accomplished what OneRepublic has done for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm unfamiliar with the band, but I like the passion you conveyed.

    ReplyDelete